Our key messages
• Data protection and privacy regimes need to flexible enough to keep up with changing societal needs, new technologies and innovation in business models
• Regulatory systems must provide consumers with protection and guarantee the free flow of information needed for the digital economy to produce anticipated benefits
• Tools and guidance from business are vital to further privacy protection and promote economic growth
Our global reach
Organizations and policy forums ICC Commission on the Digital Economy actively shares business recommendations include:
• Asia Pacific Economic region (APEC) ICC Commission on the Digital Economy represents global business on APEC's electronic steering committee where it articulates global business perspectives on APEC data protection/ privacy activities
• European Union (EU) The EU General Data Protection Regulation will have an cross sectoral impact on business. ICC Commission on the Digital Economy is providing a global voice on EU privacy developments with a global reach.
• United Nations Through its observer status, ICC shares business perspective on privacy work undertaken by relevant UN bodies.
ICC policy positions on data protection and privacy include sharing business perspectives on key aspects of the European Union (GDPR), APEC policy work and principles of accountability.
ICC has undertaken projects to create practical tools and guidance for policy makers dealing with privacy and data protection including: ICC Alternative Standard Contractual Clauses for the Transfer of Personal Data from the EU to Third Countries.
Access ICC policy positions and practical guidance on data protection and privacy here