AREAS OF ACTION
With 40 years of experience, UNICRI has been structuring its work programmes and modus operandi to make them always responsive to the needs of the international community.
UNICRI' s activities tackle major concerns in the field of crime prevention and criminal justice, such as corruption, security governance and counter-terrorism, counterfeiting and organized crime (in particular, counterfeiting, trafficking of persons as well as weapons of mass destruction). Other areas of intervention are, inter alia, security during major events, violence, both domestic and in the workplace; environmental and cyber-crimes; protection of victims and cultural heritage. UNICRI also conducts major programs in international criminal law and criminal justice reform, with a special focus on juvenile justice.
Applied research and technical cooperation aimed at providing concrete assistance to requesting countries. UNICRI targets, in particular, regions and countries that for various reasons, including the comparative lack of intervention from other potential assisting entities, are more in need of support in the field of crime prevention and criminal justice. Co-operation projects often take a holistic approach, which tackles legislative, enforcement and social aspects, and may include services provided by UNICRI, such as training and documentation.
Promotion and coordination of international and regional research, with special attention to:
- the analysis and assessment of conditions for and consequences of the adoption of national and international criminal justice strategies,
- the study of major patterns and trends of crime
Promotion of policy-relevant research at country level, through:
- the analysis and assessment of policy formulation and implementation, including the implementation of the United Nations Conventions and the respect of human rights standards,
- the establishment of networks between policy-makers, administrators and researchers,
- the study of national or local crime-related problems in the context of development policies
Training and educational activities aimed at developing and upgrading professional skills, and favouring exchange of information and cooperation among policy makers, administrators and professionals, in particular by:
- carrying out training courses,
- developing training curricula, methods and materials, and instructing trainers to use and disseminate them