News on governance of the Foundation
The ICC Research Foundation was established in February 2009, with private funding, to extend the intellectual leadership of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), by commissioning independent research that contributes to public knowledge, education and debate on the benefits of global trade and investment.
Board of Trustees
The Foundation is pleased to announce the appointment of two new members to the Board of Trustees:
- Peter Brabeck-Letmathe: Chairman of the Board, Nestlé S.A., Vice-Chairman of both L'Oréal and Credit Suisse Group. He is also a member of the Board of Directors of Roche Holding S.A. and Delta Topco Limited (Formula 1) as well as a member of the Foundation Board of the World Economic Forum and a member of the European Round Table of Industrialists (ERT).
- Michael Spence: A senior fellow at the Hoover Institution and the Philip H. Knight Professor Emeritus of Management in the Graduate School of Business at Stanford University. He is the chairman of the independent Commission on Growth and Development, focusing on growth in developing countries. He was awarded the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences in 2001.
They join the existing Trustees:
- Victor K. Fung is Chairman of the Foundation. He is Chairman of the Li & Fung Group of companies, with major subsidiaries in trading, distribution and retailing. He has written and spoken widely on international trade matters and is a strong advocate of the multilateral trading system. Mr. Fung is Chairman of the International Chamber of Commerce.
- Rajat Gupta is the Senior Partner Emeritus of McKinsey & Company. He served as the United Nations Secretary-General’s Special Advisor on UN Reform, is an independent Director of Goldman Sachs, Procter & Gamble, AMR Corporation, Qatar Financial Centre, and is the Chairman of the Board of Genpact and New Silk Route Private Equity.
- Marcus Wallenberg is the Chairman of Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken (SEB), Saab, and Electrolux AB. He is also the Vice-Chairman of L M Ericsson and serves on the boards of AstraZeneca, Stora Enso Oyj, Temasek Holdings, and the Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation.
International Advisory Council (IAC)
The chairman of the IAC is Peter Sutherland, Chairman of Goldman Sachs International. He is pleased to announce the appointment of two new members of the IAC:
- John H. Jackson is a Professor at Georgetown University, Washington D.C. and Director of its Institute of International Economic Law. He is recognized as a leading expert in international economic law. He has served as General Counsel for the Office of the President's Special Representative for Trade in the U.S. Executive Office of the President in Washington, D.C. (1973-1974). He has also advised the U.S. and various foreign governments, and international organizations. He served as chairperson of a WTO panel for a trade dispute settlement procedure and in 2005 was a member of an eminent panel of experts charged by the WTO to advise on reforms to the organization
- Mario Monti is President of the Bocconi University of Milan. He was a member of the European Commission for a decade - from 1995 to 1999 in charge of the Internal Market, Financial Services and Taxation and, from 1999 to 2005, in charge of Competition Policy. Mr Monti holds a degree in economics and management from Bocconi University. He completed graduate studies at Yale University. He is the author of numerous publications on monetary and financial economics, fiscal policy, European integration and competition.