Dialogue in International Arbitration
- Location: Sao Paulo
- Date: 17/06/2013
- Event Type: YAF Conference
- Language: English, Portuguese
As a prelude for the 2013 ICC Brazilian Arbitration Day, the ICC Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF) will hold a conference entitled 'Dialogue in International Arbitration', on 17 June 2013 in São Paulo. Practitioners and arbitrators will examine the different interchanges between counsel, arbitrators and domestic tribunals during the arbitration proceedings. This conference will be followed by the 2013 Brazilian Arbitration Day Welcoming Cocktail.
This conference will be an ideal forum for young practitioners to exchange thoughts on international arbitration and to enrich their network in the region.
The Conference will be held in English and Portuguese without simultaneous translation.
Link to the 2013 ICC Brazilian Day.
15:00 to 15:30 – Registration
15:30 to 16:00 - Opening Remarks
Katherine González Arrocha. Director for Latin America, ICC International Court of Arbitration (Panama).
Fernando Eduardo Serec. Tozzini Freire Advogados (São Paulo).
16:00 to 17:15 - First Roundtable – An International Arbitration Dialogue: A view from abroad and from within
- International Best Practices: are cultural differences becoming mitigated? Are there places where it is still an obstacle?
- The preparation of a case: how to be effective.
- The reliability and support of the judiciary.
- The legal framework: where, how and if we can make it better.
Moderated by: Antonio Barbuto Neto (Tozzini Freire Advogados, São Paulo)
Nicole Duclos (Allen & Overy, New York)
Dyalá Jiménez Figueres (DJ Arbitraje, Santiago de Chile)
Flavio Pereira Lima (Matos Filho Advogados, São Paulo)
Joaquim Shearman de Macedo (CMS Rui Pena & Arnault, Lisbon)
17:15 to 17:30 - Coffee Break
17:30 to 18:15 - Second Roundtable – An international Arbitration Dialogue: Arbitrators on Arbitrating
- Decision-making and deliberations.
- How often do arbitrators and counsels speak the same language?
- How tempted are arbitrators to supplement the case presented by a party?
Moderated by: Octavio Fragata M. De Barros (Barbosa, Müssnich & Aragão, Rio de Janeiro)
Pedro A. Batista Martins (Batista Martins Advogados, Rio de Janeiro)
Maria Lucia Cantidiano (Motta, Fernandes Rocha Advogados, Rio de Janeiro)
Hermes Marcelo Huck (Lila, Huck, Otranto, Camargo, São Paulo)
18:15 to 18:30 - Concluding Remarks
José Ricardo Feris. Deputy Secretary, ICC International Court of Arbitration (Paris).
Tozzini Freire Advogados (Rua Borges Lagoa 1328)